Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The right kind of air

"I was pleased with Dayton. As I left it behind me, I wished it prosperity. It seemed to have the right kind of air about it....I wouldn't even have killed a mosquito in Dayton !" -CKS

Shepherd's wishes of prosperity seem to have taken root, if strip malls can be considered a sign of success.
A quick update from Tim Horton's free wifi. Yesterday I joined Shepherd in Hagerstown and followed route 40 up through Cumberland, to Uniontown and Washington, Pa.
There are two kinds of long motorcycle trip: the carefree pleasure jaunt, and the death slog to get somewhere specific. Yesterday was a mix of the two, as I had to meet my friend Rod in Dayton. He was the first person I told about the trip, and it took about five minutes to get an email back saying he was coming. We picked Dayton as a meeting place,
and Rod came down from Toronto.
I had an imaginary schedule for the first few days, but i've abandoned it, and I'm much happier about that.
From here, Shepherd went to Cincinatti, then back up to Indianapolis.
We'll skip that, head on to Indianapolis, then pick up his trail on the other side. Looks like route 36 from there through Missouri, which I believe was the route of the Pike's Peak Ocean to Ocean Highway.

" Increased attention is this year being focussed on the ' See America' idea, and motorists planning a trans-continental trip will naturally select the route of greatest scenic and historic interest. That is why the discriminating tourist will travel over the Pike's Peak Ocean-to-Ocean Highway, the improved central route from the Atlantic to the Pacific coast."

-- Tourism literature quoted by C.K. Shepherd

"Never was such a grossly misleading impression of ease, comfort, and luxury perpetrated upon an unsuspecting Englishman ! It was well said that the pen is mightier than the sword. If ever again I find myself so utterly demented as to motor-cycle across the United States before proper roads have been constructed, may Heaven preserve me from 'The Appian Way of America' !"

-- C.K Shepherd

It's raining in Dayton.


No comments:

Post a Comment