Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Encumbrances


"For the benefit of brother motor-cyclists who may be interested in such details I may add that I dispensed entirely with the use of goggles from beginning to end, and except at stops in large towns on the way I wore no hat. I think that when the motor-cyclist gets accustomed to doing without these encumbrances he will find the joys of motor-cycling considerably enhanced."

-C.K. Shepherd

This is a point on which I disagree with Cyril completely.

It may be a measure of the times, higher highway speeds, or increased traffic, or the evolution of safety gear, but I don't ride without a full-face helmet, gloves, jacket, riding pants, and heavy boots, even in the heat of the summer. There is still a strain of motorcyclist that wants to lobby against helmet laws as an an unnecessary government intrusion, but the Hurt Report, among other things, have long convinced me that the best way to reduce my own risk is to wear proper gear. Also, it is always good policy to dress like an astronaut, because everyone likes astronauts, or at least respects them.

As far as stuff I am taking, I'm afraid I have Shepherd beat there, too. I installed a cell phone charger the other day, so I can hopefully keep up this blog from the road. I've become pathetically dependent on an Iphone a friend gave me, so my repair manuals, campsite-finding apps and video games are all on there as well, along with Shepherd's book.

For general motorcycle-camping stuff, I've got my usual tent and sleeping bag arrangement, clothes, tools, etc., etc., etc., all packed into saddle bags, a tank bag, top case, and an extra dry bag on the passenger seat. I've added a couple of things this trip-- a camp stove that runs on gasoline,  coffee-making stuff, a hammock (I want to see how practical it is to sleep in one before I buy one of those fancy hammock tents).

I'm entering into the phase of trip planning where I stay up late and figure out how everything I want to bring will fit onto the bike, and the best configuration of weight and accessibility. This is also the phase when my wife makes fun of me, and wonders why there's motorcycle gear all over the living room floor. The whole mess would probably all fit into one of those very large backpacks that hikers use, but compared to what Shepherd had with him it seems extravagant.

Then again, maybe not. Shepherd had two bags, one of which he shipped from place to place ahead of him, and the other, a dressing case, was strapped to the rack of his bike.

"That dressing-case must have weighed fifty or sixty pounds, and with the blanket around it looked an alarming size when in situ. There was no hope for it. I'm that kind of individual who always likes plenty of silk shirts and pyjamas and things, so it didn't occasion me the slightest worry if the people did stare wildly at me as I passed through their towns and villages. 

And they sure did!"

-CKS

3 comments:

  1. How many silk shirts and pyjamas have you packed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should see the incredible pile of stuff in front of me right now, waiting to be crammed into several small bags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to know about it's petrol consuming efficiency per kilometre...

    Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmets

    ReplyDelete