Sunday, June 20, 2010

Mad Motor-cyclists

"I have often thought there must be a  guardian angel  watching over mad motor-cyclists." -- C. K. Shepherd

Shepherd planned to return to New York with Lizzie, up through Yosemite and East across Canada, but his never-ending mechanical difficulties forced him to abandon the return trip.
He sold Lizzie in San Francisco.
For our part, we made it up the Pacific Coast Highway and spent the night in a San Francisco Hotel. The next morning, a friend took us on a spirited ride on Highway 1 north of the city.
We said goodbye to Shepherd and Lizzie, and I can honestly say I miss having them along. Cyril was an excellent guide. Right now we're headed back east, on "the loneliest road in America." 

"Thus ends my tale of woe. It is a strange thing, but nevertheless true, that now I have done with it and written about it and done with writing about it, I still think what a glorious trip it was and what a perfect ass I was to do it, and what a still greater ass I was to say anything about it!"
--C. K. Shepherd

No comments:

Post a Comment